Sunday, March 4, 2007

Sunday February 24, 2007

Well, my day started out with my friend Rob making hotel arrangements because he can't fly out today due to the ice storm. Jim checked on my flight and it was on time.

The training ended pretty well, right around noon. We gave out the certificates and enjoyed the people. They held up cell phones to honor the water under Kathy, grin. They soaped Tracey's windows. The soaped Chichi's windows.

There was a bit of an ugly surprise of a boxed lunch. I am not saying that the boxed lunch wasn't good, it was. I just wasn't ready and it will be around 11 at night before I can possibly get back to Houston. Then finding a 24 hour restaurant in a town I don't know well, could easily prove to be a problem.

We finish taking things down and head back to Hartford so they can drop me off at the airport. I gather up my stuff, get my ticket and head on down to the gate watching the mile long line at the United Counter as people get to the airport and then find out that they are going nowhere fast, tomorrow is probably already booked by people who found out earlier.

It makes me nervous as I wait for my USAIRLINES flight. Flights are being cancelled all around me. It's pretty ugly, but as of now my plane is slated in an on-time slot. I know that miracles happen and all that tommyrot, but there actually isn't a lot of chance that I will be able to make it out of the transfer point, but can't reschedule until they cancel my flight.

So I sit in the airport and wait for hours and hours.

Up until 30 minutes before my flight, they were saying it was on-time; then they said there would be a 45 minute delay, which switched to an over 3 hour delay which meant that everyone would miss their connections, except--I had a flight with a stopover. Is that a connection or not> I have to ask and therefore ended up in the end of the line when I had to be rescheduled. I didn't want to be rescheduled, (it's that hours in line after waiting hours at the airport, thing) but have to make do.

I call Rob and ask if I can bunk on his couch. He says yes, but calls Katheryn and she gets me a room at the hotel Rob is staying at. Rob asks if I want to go to dinner and suggests Ruby Tuesdays. I am still in line and we chat about how we could kill for some good beef. Rob and I are both from the mid-west and being in a retreat center that served chicken and fish was hard on both of us. The retreat center did serve some pork, but well-- I wasn't sure---well, you know what I mean. It was a great retreat center, the chicken and fish were outstanding.

When I get to the hotel, I must have looked bad. grin I got upgraded and got a late checkout. Both of which I needed. Rob and I talked until midnight. He's such a great guy to talk with. He is funny, enjoyable and interesting, just an awesome guy to be with.

I made a pot or two or three of iced tea, sit back and enjoy the time. The rooms at the retreat center and at the Homewood Inn and Suites were great, especially compared to my tent. LOL

Happy trails, marty

No comments: