Thursday, April 5, 2007

Monday March something or other LOL

I am going to DC if they can find me a place to stay. Sounds good to me. I need some time around people I know, and those people need me to do stuff. A mutually satisfying relationship if things work out. LOL

It's 11AM and I am waiting to hear about the place to stay. I told them that I am going by greyhound and that I am going to do it so I can read a book or two. I have the book by Nora Roberts "Carolina Moon" and I have tried to read it a couple of times, but haven't had the chance to finish it. In fact, I have ended up rereading the same chapter a couple of times so I can remember the nuances. I haven't read any of Nora Roberts Mysteries that she writes under the name of JD Robb, but I think I will enjoy them. Just haven't found the time. Carolina Moon is a mystery/romance at the same time.

I didn't sleep much last night, so I am really going to enjoy the nap on the bus as well. A lot of people like to judge things like whether one thing or one way is better than the other, but I htink that life full of differences that are always interesting and help us grow our lives in different directions. When we avoid experiences and when we judge experiences, we have a tendency to not absorb the nuances. The culture.

Many things/activities have their own cultures. And when we choose to lose out on a cultural experience we lose out on some of the nuances of life.

On busses, you meet interesting people. Many consider it something you do only as a last resort. But on the busses I have met immigrants from Poland, Czech, and learned about their countries, the trouble that they had becoming a professor, even though they had lots of education in thier own countries and how the education systems compare.

I have shared their homemade boxed dinners of native foods (love kolaches, could sell my soul for great apricot kolaches) and I have shared what I have had with them in return. We talk of thier countrys, where are good places to stay that are cheap and place me safely in the culture of a country or neighborhood.

I never really meet people like that in airports. Now, I do when I ride on the trains. On the trains, fewer people have foods that are native to their community's. The more people have money (trains cost more), the farther away they get from (what I can best describe as their roots, I guess). They become americanized, eating the interesting junk food one can purchase on a train. Train food is the type of food that you would find in a vending machine. LOL

But I digress, I am going to DC, on the bus and am going to read a book or two to relax. Who knew a perpetual vacation could be so stressful? grin.

Happy trails, Marty

No comments: