Wednesday, May 16, 2007

May 9, 2007 Norfolk and I am next to a bookstore--whoohoo

Nebraska’s Mental Health seems to be divided into six regions. Yesterday’s presentation was in Region 6.

Today’s presentation is in Region 4. This region has a lot of rural areas that I have to wonder how people manage to get services. They have to drive a county away from what I understand and their counties sound like they are pretty large.

I understand the problems that distance from a provider can cause. My VA Healthcare Facility was about 70 miles away from me. They offered me groups and more, but I was so not able to drive 140 miles once or twice a week to get therapy.

I chose to pay a therapist in my community. There was a jackass of a community mental health system in my community and from what I understand, if you sell your soul to them, they will teach you about recovery and if you don’t sell your soul to them you are still screwed, blued and tattooed. They just don’t believe in getting you into a solid recovery—they only care about their money.

I don’t get that feeling here, but then, I don’t see services in some of the counties, either.
Anyway, today’s presentation is in Region 4. And I am enjoying it. People seemed to enjoy the presentation and I love interacting with the people who chose to attend. I wish there could have been more, but it is a rural region. I really enjoyed getting to meet other people who happen to have a mental illness who are working on their recovery.

On my way to the presentation, I see that the hotel is next to a Hastings Bookstore. I am so in heaven. I go and sit and read for about three hours and buy three books. (I am traveling by motorcycle, what am I thinking? I just picked up four books yesterday at Goodwill Thrift Store.) Then I go back and read for another couple of hours.

There is a bookstore here. I don’t even need the hors deovers and the free beer. I don’t need to eat supper. I am ready to read, and read, and read. I read two of the books that I bought before I go to bed. I have my priorities straight. LOL

I really like the Hastings bookstore. They have used books. They buy used books at good prices. It is great.

For a long time, when I was ill, I couldn’t read. I felt like my soul had betrayed me, as I have always loved to read. I used to listen to audio books when I couldn’t read, but would often need to listen to them three or four times if it was a book that I was trying to learn from.

Tomorrow I need to get up and head to Lincoln, Nebraska. It looks like it will be a great day for a ride on my motorcycle. I am so looking forwards to it.

Happy Trails, Marty

No comments: