Monday, February 5, 2007

Friday February 2

Friday February 2, 2007

Today when I went out to my bike, I realized there was no longer any left side cover. Under the left side cover there are several wires and connectors. I was glad that it wasn’t raining. My heart sank. I know that the cover was there when I got to University Presbyterian last night and I think I remember seeing it when I covered my bike in the parking lot.

The side cover that was taken was the one that doesn’t have a lock. The other cover you have to take off using my Kawasaki Vulcan key. I am really glad that I took my rain gear, sleeping bag and backpack inside with me last night.

I check the side bags. Nothing was taken. I do keep most of the stuff of value buried under the cheap ramen noodles and the first aid kit. Now, the first aid kit was a waterproof marine model and they could have probably gotten some decent cash for it also.

It does rattle me a bit and I end up getting turned around going out to the campground. I end up on the north west side of Baton Rouge instead of the north east corner. I find route 190 and think to myself well, at least here is a road that I recognize. Life is looking up a little bit.

Of course, then 190 branches off from 61 and I miss the turn off until I go past it and get the experience of turning around. People have a tendency to ride my ass when I am on a motorcycle so I have to be careful about where and how I turn. I am a careful driver who values her life.

I get on the Interstate and ride towards the campground, manage to miss a couple of signs. Once again this is probably because my mind is wandering because I am unable to let go of the experience of having my side cover stolen. I need to relax and let it go, but I haven’t been able to as of yet.

When I finally reach the campground, I stop to check in and tell them that I am going to see what campsite I would like. I decide to choose 31, which looks like it has been set up as a handicap site, but isn’t marked as such. It is near the restrooms, and not really muddy. (Not easy to find in the middle of a swamp.) There are cement walkways and two types of burning areas. I like the low ones best as I can watch the fire better.

I go back to check in and tell them that I want to stay here for 15 days. I want to be able to travel off of a site and this campground at least has gate controlled access at night and during the day there are rangers that regularly patrol the campground. There are also some other permanent type of campers who look like they are maxing out their stay.

Since it is the weekend and it is going to turn nice, the campground starts to fill up with all kinds of people. There are a couple of huge diesel pushers that have huge TVs mounted in the side so everyone can watch them from a campsite. I snicker and think about making fun of them, then remember that it is super bowl weekend. Maybe I need to make friends with them. LOL

Wendy offers me the chance to come over and use some electricity with them, but I am still slightly depressed about my side cover and instead stay at the campsite to set up camp and eat something. And drink hot chocolate.

My mood elevates slightly with the hot chocolate.

Later Wendy, Paul and I go on a night nature walk with the guide Jennifer. We don’t see much wildlife (a spider or two,) but the guide is able to answer some of our questions about the trees and gives us a booklet so we can learn more.

We do find out that the vine that is growing up the trees is poison ivy. Now up north where we are from, poison ivy stays pretty close to the ground. Here, it just climbs up tree trunks. There are no leaves on this poison ivy as it is winter. I am not sure that I would have recognized it as a vine even if there were leaves on it.

The guide talked about how many trees in the area we were walking in were downed during Hurricane Katrina and about how the boardwalks in the park were taken out. We decide to go back over there tomorrow and look around some more.
I go to bed early. It is chilly but I am able to sleep except for the people who seem to continually start their vehicles to get warm. ;
Happy Trails, Marty

No comments: