Monday, February 26, 2007

Galveston Island Monday February 19

Monday February 19, 2007

Wow, what a refreshing way to go to sleep and to then wake-up, listening to the sound of a pounding surf. It lulled me to sleep much earlier than I planned on going to bed. When I woke up early in the morning, I thought about going to walk on the beach to watch the sun rise. When I leave the tent, I see a piece of paper sticking to my tire, reminding me that I have to go pay the fee to stay in this wonderful state park. I grab my gloves and jacket and cruise up to the office without a helmet. It feels so awesome.

When I get back to the campsite, I think about staying up-that I should probably get some stuff done. Instead, I go back to sleep, drowsily listening to the surf again and feeling the peace permeate my soul. My heart feels so restful here. The restful feeling jangles with the needs of the non-profit I do things with/for.

I have no propane and not much more money, until a check that I received can be put in the bank. I have a few dollars, and relax, knowing that the check will be able to be put in the bank tomorrow. The campground is way more expensive than any of the books (or even the brochures I picked up at the Texas Information Area) say that it will be. The difference in price is ten dollars a night, which is a large amount to me right now. I relax and breathe the salt air into my lungs. What a great way to enjoy life.

I also notice that my knees are getting a little worse. Much of the way that I feel is due to the dampness that goes along with being on the ocean.

At the beginning of the afternoon, I check the amount of gas in my tank, and ride off to the other end of the island. I really like the houses that are built here. They are unique and have unexpected corners; decks that face the road and extend all the way around the house, stilts that give the house personality and funky colors. At home when one drives along the lake, the houses are mushed together and irritating in the sameness of color and brick. The Island of Galveston is not like that. Here the whimsy of the houses make me smile with delight.

After crusing to the end of the island and finding a toll bridge, I execute a U-turn and head back towards town. The thought of a toll bridge makes me laugh. The ferry, that costs money to run each and every trip is free, while the bridge that is stationary and doesn’t use up fossil fuels costs money. I like Texas. It is an interesting place to be.

It is a chilly day and I decide to go to the Wendy’s to enjoy the surf from inside.I see a guy riding a bicycle down the street. He has a surfboard under one arm and it looks a little funny. A few minutes later, I see him and a friend out trying to catch a wave that is good. As I try to catch a few good pics, things (and the actions of the surfers) all seem to conspire against me. I sit and contemplate my seeming inability to get one.

As it grows darker, I start to get ready to go back out to the campground. I stop by a Kroger’s Grocery Store and pick up some great wheat bread along with a few other staples. I think about my motorcycle and try to hurry.

As I ride back to the campground, I relax and just melt into the ride. When I see the sign to the campground, I realize that the campground is a lot closer than I thought that it was. Driving in the dark last night, made the distance be deceiving. It seemed to be much longer.

There are three other motorcyclists camping here in the state park. I am the only person, traveling by themselves and tenting without motorhome support. What’s up with that?

Happy trails, Marty

No comments: