Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Saturday February 17, 2007

Yes, indeedy I do love the invasion of the car runners, but tonight, I got home a little too early and there was this awful generator running. It was not one of those nice quiet Honda Generators, but one that clacks and eeewwww. It really hurt my ears. So last night, I went up to the restroom to escape the noise and read a book for a while.

I went outside at 9 to see if they had shut it off and no, they hadn’t. I went to the laundry room to surf the Internet for a bit. The connection is slow, but better than nothing. I realize after I get all set up that I have a ton of laundry to do, but don’t want to shut everything down to go back out to grab the laundry.

I surf the Internet looking for things on Recovery and find some good reading. Not anything that is very helpful though.

Then I download some ebooks that I want to read and chill out.

So it is now the next morning and I am once again sitting in the laundry room surfing the Internet while I wait for my clothes to dry. After a bit, I realize that the time is slipping rapidly away and I am not anywhere close to being packed up and ready to go. The clothes are ready, the dryer that I am hearing is the neighbors, mine stopped a long time ago. LOL oops.

I go down and start to pack up, trying to decide where to head. The Louisiana State Parks are cheaper than most, but they keep saying the words “feels like 29*”. These are not happy words for me. I calculate the distance to Galveston in my head.

And I try to pack. It is hard for me to pack up when I have been in one place for 15 days. My stuff seems to explode and won’t fit on my bike anymore. I try harder. I didn’t buy that much stuff. Just some books. And some more books. And some clothes. Oh, and some food. Nothing that I didn’t need.

But now the stuff won’t fit in a way that makes me happy. I call my daughter and have a chat with her about the snowsuit. It won’t fit me next winter, but it is hard for me to leave it behind when I just bought it less than two months ago. But lets face it, I am headed to Texas and losing weight fairly quickly, what’s the point in keeping it? I decide to let it go along with some food that has hung around for too long. It’s still good, but if I brought it from Michigan and haven’t yet eaten it, I would say that there is a good chance that I won’t.

It’s now after 1PM and I should have left already. They keep driving by to clean up the campsite. All I can do is wave. LOL

Finally I get everything I want loaded up and hit the road. I make it all the way to Baton Rouge and then pull off to eat breakfast. I am hungry and the wind is terrible. It’s blowing me all over the road. It is a struggle to stay in my lane at times.

And it is late. I have wasted too much time today. I pull off the road in Jennings and decide to find a dive to stay in as my funds are limited. Yep, it’s a dive. But the atmosphere is one of people who work hard for a living, but can’t afford a better place to live, so they stay at this hotel.

I get a room key and a remote. The remote is the wrong one for the TV, but it’s an upstairs room and I just don’t feel like negotiating the stairs again. I sit on the end of the bed and start to sort through papers and things to lighten the load.

I write some notes on some of the stuff from the book that the clubhouse gave me and throw it away. It smells pretty bad as it got wet more than once. I really enjoyed the book, but it’s not salvageable.

I throw away some papers, make some more notes and condense others. It’s hard to believe, but I still have a paper problem on the road. That is so sad.

I decide to head on over to Galveston to camp tomorrow. I want to be on the Gulf. It is pretty and I love the water. I decide to stay away from the Interstates as much as possible and take the run down the Bolivar Peninsula. There is a free ferry from the Bolivar Peninsula to Galveston that I want to take.

My lips are sunburned, and my cheeks feel really dry like they might be sunburned also. I dig out some lip junk, Carmex, and put it on my lips. They burn for quite a while.

I watch movies on TV. Ritchie Rich is on, and Miss Congeniality is on. I enjoy the light comedy as the day was stressful and being buffeted all over the road was more than I could handle at times.
And I have to pack up again tomorrow. Grr.

No comments: