Monday, February 26, 2007

Leaving for Connecticut Training

Wednesday February 21, 2007

I kind of regret having to leave Galveston today, although I am excited about being able to help facilitate a recovery support group training.

Today I am slowly packing up my campsite. People always watch to see just how I manage to pile up the stuff onto my motorcycle. I really, really need to get a trailer. It would make me feel a bit less like an oddity.

It is right around noon when I finish packing. I take the time to be on a conference call before I leave. While I am talking on the phone, I put my hand into my pocket, pull it out and realize that my mother’s ring has slipped off of my finger. I look and look, but never find it. It means a lot. I am not sure where it is hiding in the grass, but I don’t see it.

I look at some coupons for hotel rooms in Houston, but can’t find any that I like where I think I am going to park so I am making sure to go in early.

I cruise around and find a parking spot parking area. I have used them in the past and had good luck. I decide to leave my bike in one. Then I start to look for a hotel room. I find nothing that I like that I can afford, but need to stay in one as I am not ready to part with my bike. I need to re-pack. My computer usually travels in my large duffle bag to keep weight load down low. Before I can hop on a plane, I have to make the big bag lighter and the backpack which usually travels on top as it is very light, loaded with stuff like my rain gear, heavy with my computer.

The place I decided to use was a budget hotel that really sucks. There is no promised refrigerator. There is no wireless internet as promised. The rooms are new, but the two promised amenities that aren’t suck. I think about leaving, but realize that I would have to repack my bike. I regretfully decide to stay due to the location and the hassle, but decide to complain about the hotel. (both in the blog and to the corporation.) ;)

I can’t sleep as I am nervous about the upcoming training. I am going with a group of people who are absolutely awesome. These are people who I dream of being able to spend more time with and enjoy more on a regular basis. My heroes, (everybody grab their cell phones and wave them in the air. Grin)

I ride over to Sonic and after I place my order and receive it, remember-- . Oh, yeah, I remember now, I hate the buns on the Sonic. I eat it anyway as breakfast was a long time ago, pick up some gas, go back to the hotel and log in some expenses. Sometime after 4, I fall asleep.

I am both nervous and excited with no surf. Sigh.

Happy trails, Marty

No comments: