Wednesday, February 7, 2007

On Sunday we go to town. Feb 4

Sunday February 4, 2007

Around 6AM I give up trying to sleep and decide to go do my laundry. The laundry room is warm and I am not able to sleep because of all the vehicles starting up. It’s like they listen for another vehicle to start up and then they know that it is safe to start their vehicle up as it was just blend in.

And there is nothing soothing about it like when I was at Sturgis and the ground shook enough to lull you to sleep. Nope, nothing redeeming about it here. Here there is just noise.

We are going into town later to find the WalMart, a book store and hopefully a Golden Corral. I am sitting in a t-shirt and shorts int eh laundry room trying to find out which machine works as a change machine when in comes a guy who must be a regular. He knows that he will use all three machines. The washers run for 35 minutes and the dryers run for 45 minutes. “When will I be done?” he asks.

I smile and ask if he has any change to spare. He abruptly says no and goes down to his van, but then he changes his mind. I guess he realized that I could stay in the laundryroom forever, chasing the Internet and he would have to do his laundry in front of me. He decides to give me some change. (Good move.)

I get to finish my laundry. Now that I think about it, I think he is a van dweller who uses this park part of the time and goes stealth the rest of the time.

Paul and Wendy are leaving and we decide to go to town together. We find WalMart and I get part of what I want to get. It is a large, extremely crowded Stupor WalMart. I have a hard time shopping in it as it is so crowded and so huge. They don’t have one of the waterproof bags that I want. The one they have is too big and $8 more expensive. I am trying to find a waterproof bag for my laptop so I can worry a little bit less.

I buy some more propane, some meat, some junk, some brats. That kind of stuff. I don’t buy a campstool, but I am sorely tempted. For $5 I could be comfortable for a week or so. I could watch campfires in more comfort every night. I decide that I would rather do New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

We wanted to go to Golden Corral, but there isn’t one. We decide to try Ryans, but realize that since it is Sunday, no matter what we do-it will be expensive, more than we want to pay on this day anyway.

We decide to go to Wendy’s and have some food. This turns out to be a major mistake. The food, if you could get what you ordered, was pretty good. The help was something else. First there was a lady in training, up there by herself. We started ordering unusual stuff and she asked for help. A guy came up and took over never realizing that he needed to zero out some of the stuff that she had put in. The order was for a lot more than it should have been. The guy calls the manager to zero out the order, as it had been totaled. She was really a pita to the guy. He didn’t deserve it. She sent him to the back and took the order herself. The right food still didn’t happen.

The next people didn’t get the right order either. I went up for more pop-that did work. Paul and Wendy were so grateful they asked the people next to us, who didn’t get the right food either if there was a bookstore in town.

There is a Books a Million. We went there to see if we could troll for goodies, but there weren’t any in the store so Wendy and Paul ended up leaving and I stayed and had a great time reading. The boy that is the manager has a hard time with people like me, but let’s be honest, where would I put a book? So I ignore him and read anyway. They have blackberry sage tea, which is a real favorite of mine.

I get back to the campground a little after dark. The roads are narrow, curvey, and rough. It is hard to see. I go up to the laundry room to surf some more. The laundry room is the only place that I can pick up the Internet. Grin

Happy Trails

No comments: