Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Motorcycle Camping

I went over to this website today Her Motorcycle. I googled motorcycle camping and it came up. I have after all devoured all of the stuff on froggi donnas site, which is Women Who Ride made the backrest and the electric vest and now the neck cooler (thank you so much donna). To find how to do that stuff go here and scroll down past the list of campgrounds.

First, let me say that I really enjoy the her motorcycle book list of books by and for women bikers. I will read all of them in say, the next couple of weeks. Love to read, love to bike. This is the book that I have lined up to read, American Borders right after I read the book by Cindy Soldotna Life is Like a Line. met Cindy last night, it was just awesome.

Back to the her motorcycle camping page. Frankly the camping page scares me. I would have frozen a couple of times with this advice. It can turn cold unexpectedly. Almost everywhere it can turn cold unexpectedly and I travel SOLO which means that the cold is compounded.

There is nothing about how to choose a tent, except by links of descriptions, no warnings that sleeping bags often don't warm you at the minimum degrees that it's supposed to work at, and it seems that women sleep colder than men and there for will freeze more. And more often.

There's nothing about how using a good pad under a sleeping bag isn't always about comfort, but about preserving body warmth, etc.

And the camping cooking gear is mostly car stuff.

Having put those 18,000 miles on my bike camping last year, I would have never made it more than a weekend or two with that equipment. I would have been darn uncomfortable.

Take a pad to sleep on, they are lightweight, but improve the quality of one's trip immensely.

And I may buy a volcano stove, but it would mean carrying along a bag of charcoal or wood so I would probably have to take my trailer.

If you want to cook, and be gone longer than a weekend, consider a backpacking stove and lightweight utensils. They don't have to be expensive, they do need to be compact. When traveling one-up, I often forego the niceties and eat out of my cook kit. I don't want to pack a lot of plates, bowls and mugs, although the new eating stuff that folds flat, well maybe it straightens flat seems to wear well. I have been personally conducting a test since I first saw it in Cheyenne, Wyoming last year. (insert sheepish girly, gotta have gear, grin, here)

I will say that another site by a woman biker, way cool. I choose to spend my design time elsewhere, like on my website for my first passion, but plan on enjoying my life fully this summer and may ask Boo to do a website for women bikers. She's a really great grandaughter and is old enough to run a website.

Enjoy her website, it has some good stuff, especially for beginners.

Marty

No comments: