Saturday, March 22, 2008

My Schedule and Biking

I am trying to figure out how to do two things:

1. A lot of riding and

2. A lot of training

It's never had to be a choice before. For years I couldn't ride due to my medications setting my center of balance off, but having to choose now is really different.

I am thinking of two major rides, well, major in terms of miles to other people. I read a lot of blogs/miles that sound like, 14,000 miles in two years. That is about six months worth of riding if I am not working.

So, I have to be in St. Louis at the end of April and am thinking about doing a Route 66 ride off of that, either before or after. It would take me far enough South that I could camp. I can decide whether or not to take the trailer, but it should be an easy three week trip and would just need to throw on my tent and camping/ sleeping gear. And my cooking gear so I can wake up to hot tea in the mornings. Or I could do bottled iced and just get up and enjoy breakfast in some of the funky diners along the route.

There are a couple of hotels along the route that I want to use, but not a lot. I am just an outdoors camping type of person. I think it has become a lifestyle choice.

I started reading up on Route 66 last week again, read up on it last year and it looks like there are some better choices guidebook wise. There are some who consider it a Route 66 trip if you ride the interstate where it used to be. That is not me as I like the funky places that are still in use/have been restored.

The other thing I am thinking about is a perimeter tour off of the Orlando trip that I have to make in June. I have a NAMI Convention in Orlando that I need to attend, and would like to try a perimeter trip off of it, even if it would have to be in segments due to trainings. I have done mileage planning between Port Huron and Orlando (gosh, it really is handy being from a perimeter town, LOL).

Either or both would work out well and I have to decide what I want to do and get moving on it.

I have some bike repairs that need to happen since I got rear-ended in Battle Creek in January.

Today I am going to put the new sissy bar, bag rails and bags on my bike today. It's going to be a little over freezing around 2 this afternoon, so the weather is cooperating, yea! I ride anyway, but haven't gone outside yet today.

gotta go eat breakfast,

Enjoy life, it's for living, Marty

No comments: