Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Wanderlust

Wanderlust is filling my soul today. I really want to be out on the road traveling on my bike. So today, I started looking at just how long it would take to do a perimeter trip. I also started looking at how much it would cost.

I was doing OK until mom got out an atlas the other day. There could be great books in the room and I would prefer to read an atlas. And plan a trip. And so, what is life if one isn't planning a grand adventure?

So here are the first three days:

Day One: Port Huron to Algonac (36)to Port Clinton (146)to Cleveland (77)and on through to Geneva State Park(53) which is 312 miles.

Day Two: Geneva State Park to Dunkirk(109) to Youngstown(81) to Hamlin Beach State Park(60) which is 250 miles.

Day Three: Hamlin Beach State Park to Sacketts Harbor(151) to Massena (101) which is 252 miles. It will probably be a little bit shorter as the park is just before Massena. I will probably camp in Coles Creek State Park.

I double checked to see if there are any two wheels only campgrounds along this section of the route and it doesn't look like it. Story of my life. LOL

Three years ago here, there was a lady who had a map that had the states they had traveled to in different colors. I asked the lady where she got it and she told me "Camping World". I said, those are cool, I should get one of those. She asked me if I had traveled much and I said yes, I have been in all of the lower 48. The woman got snooty with me and said if I hadn't slept in them, it didn't count. When I told her that I had slept in all of them except maybe Rhode Island because it was so little it didn't count (sorry Jim and Kathryn) she turned around and walked away from me. Guess it's a good thing that I didn't tell her that I had been to most of the lower 48 at least twice.

For a while, it got to where I didn't want to go on vacations. I didn't like cars, wanted my family to get the camper back so I could ride back there, etc. But then, I am one of the people who require alone time. Have to have it or I get depressed. I have to be able to get out and about.

Oh the things we will do---

Happy Trails, marty

No comments: