Thursday, January 18, 2007

Friday at Jeff Busby; making new friends

January 12, 2007

It’s around 9AM, I guess I have to get up as I need to lead a teleconference at 10AM and I want to change my campsite. The big motorhomes are moving out (they must believe that stuff about the early bird and the worm.)

I canvass the campground to look for a better site now that I can see. All along the drop-off there are places made for tents to be put up in. The hill is large and long, but the view is so very beautiful, I can’t resist. Two of my goals for this trip are for me to lose weight and to get fit. The hill will definitely help as I trudge up and down it to get to the picnic table.

I dump my bag and backpack at the new site that I want (gotta guard against those early birds) and drive back to pack up my tent and move it. I did have time to put the tent up, but I decide to try to use the new lighter that I bought at family dollar and make me some breakfast. The lighter turns out to be a piece of crap so breakfast goes on hold as I need to lead the teleconference call in 10-9-8 minutes.

The call went well. There was a lot of great discussion about what recovery means. As I sit leading the call I glare at the lighter.

I don’t carry an ice chest at this time, as I haven’t room so most of the stuff I have has to be cooked. Also, have you noticed that the meat is mostly packaged for an army, so I try to opt for things that come in smaller packages. At this time, totally processed crap is what is cheap, so it’s what I get to eat and it all pretty much needs to be cooked. When I get the lighter to light. When. *sigh

I call Kathryn and say yes immediately to what she had to say. I think she was surprised, that I agreed so quickly. But dreams are dreams. I’m not just thrilled, but honored that I was asked. After talking to her, I think about why I am so adamant about people receiving support group training. A story for another time.

The temp is fairly nice. I set up the tent, sit back and take a break and regroup. I finally get the darn lighter to work and have a breakfast/lunch/dinner of ramen noodles, a can of chicken all mixed up with cream of chicken soup. I sit for a while, enjoy the view then crawl into my sleeping bag and lie down to take a short nap.

Three hours later. Three Hours Later!!! Holey moley.

This trip is kind of like hiking the Appalachian Trail. You can do the trail in one of three ways.
Get fully in great physical condition to make the start of the trail easier on you.
Get in a decent physical condition, at least break in your hiking boots.
Don’t worry, just start walking and in about two weeks you will be able to keep up with groups one and two.

I am mostly with group number 3, except that I did break in the boots. However, since my boots have been soaked very thoroughly at least two times, the fit has become more interesting.

I have made some mistakes with what I have brought and what I have chosen, but nothing that can’t be corrected with some time at a Wal-Mart and a little cash.

Since I didn’t have a motorcycle any earlier, it was hard to be more prepared in time, so I am fumbling to figure out what I need and what will work best as I juggle from being prepared to go by car to adjusting to the minimal amount allowed as I travel by bike.

Also, I didn’t get in the right kind of condition needed to ride a bike that has this type of a load. But, I will also gain that in time.

I met this really neat couple named Paul and Wendy from Ontario actually traveling the way that I want to travel (about forty miles a day.) As we sit and chat in their motorhome we trade travel tips and they run their generator so I can charge up my cell phone. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

They make sure I know about Cici’s all you can eat pizza buffet and I make sure they know about Wendy’s chili and a baked potato for two bucks. They tell me about http://www.freecampgrounds.com and I tell them about Craigslist.

I talk about what I like to do. It was a great conversation.

As I head back to the campsite to make a campfire (I am totally addicted to campfires), I think that it is a little dark to start a fire, but know that I will try anyway. The wood was pretty darn wet, but I dried it out using fallen leaves in continual blast furnace maneuver until it started fully.

I sat up for a while, watched the fire, drank a spot of tea and then crashed. It was nice to relax for the day.

No comments: