Thursday, January 18, 2007

Tupelo and Jeff Busby Campground

January 11, 2007

So today, I wanted to go to Tupelo and stay in a park near there. It didn’t happen. Well, I did get to Tupelo, but when I want to go to the campground that was open, Davis Lake, it wasn’t. I was so ticked. And bummed out.

I hadn’t hurried today. I had moseyed along because I didn’t really plan on having that far to go. So, I meandered. And stopped and looked.
This is a creek that meandered alongside of the road.
On the Trace, the changover from state to state can be fairly flashy or fairly non-existent. Here is where the change from Tennessee to Alabama takes place.




I really got a smile out of the signs. Here is the state seal of Tennessee. All it mentions is agriculture and itself, a good healthy way to view things. Now look at the state seal of Alabama.

It mentions every state but Tennessee. grin



There isn't a whole lot of Alabama on the Trace. And there isn't a whole lot of much to see, but what there is is great. Here are the pics I took at Colberts Ferry.


In Mississippi, on the way to Tupelo, I stopped to look and read about Bear Creek Mound. I tried ot make the sign large enough so you could read about it if you are interested.
When I got to Tupelo, it wasn’t really cold, but I was so I stopped into a Wendy’s for a bowl of chili and an electrical socket to charge my cell phone. I stopped into a Family Dollar to get a lighter and some trash bags to protect my stuff in case it rains. I scouted out a library. I like to read and do research in local libraries. I wanted to do some research on prices and places to see. I also wanted to plug in and use my computer for a bit. Download the pics that I have taken, that sort of thing.

Then since I’d started out so late, it started getting dark, so I went to find the campground, which was supposed to be really close. I got a little turned around. (Another one of those unexpected detours life hands out.) By the time I was leaving Tupelo it was getting dark. I still wasn’t concerned as I am comfortable setting up the tent; it’s easy.

I turn off the Natchez Trace Parkway when I find the road to Davis Lake Campground. It has turned into a dark, dark night. I can’t see any stars and there isn’t any moon to be found either. I carefully proceed along a winding, bumpy, road that has grooves in it that can be dangerous to a motorcyclist. I get there and find the road to the Davis Lake Recreation Area closed.

I feel my heart in my feet and I pulled over to evaluate the situation that I find myself in. I have less than $20 in my pocket. I don’t have more than $10 in the bank. I don’t have enough gas to make it to the next free campground and I can’t afford to stay in either of the two state parks that are close by to Tupelo. Kicking myself for having spent too long in Tupelo having a good time (what’s up with that attitude, huh?), I sigh and backtrack to pickup $5.15 in gas, then proceed the 50+ miles to the next free campground.

The Natchez Trace is awesome to ride on during the day, but dangerous at night due to the massive number of deer that come out to feed alongside the side of the road. Now it’s 7:20 at night, I need to drive through a forest, for 50+ miles to reach the next campground I can afford to stay in, Jeff Busby fully realizing that I have not reached my goal of seeing Tupelo. I have to temporarily suspend that goal.

The temp has started to drop and I am once again riding in the dark and glad I have my snowsuit. Dodging deer. *sigh

The ride to Jeff Busby actually wasn’t too bad, but it was cold.

Right after nine I find the campground and start to look for a site to use. The ones near the restrooms are filled with motorhomes and fifth wheel trailers. One is a huge diesel pusher. Along much of the area there is a sharp drop off and I can’t see many of the campsites clearly. On my second swipe through the campground, I see a road I had missed before and decide to stay at one of the sites.

None of the land was level. That made it tough to find a site to put up my tent. However, since I had a tent that was too small I was able to find a spot close to my motorcycle. (Interesting how things work out, huh?) I set up my tent, curl up and go to sleep.

No comments: